Monday 28 April 2014

BACKGROUNDS - again

I have been sent a few questions lately about backgrounds, and I usually send people to my blog post here:

http://jackiesimmondsartyfacts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/what-do-i-do-with-background-help.html


But I came across this post on WetCanvas, which offers excellent advice on backgrounds for portraits in particular.  It is well thought-out, and illustrated carefully to explain each point.

Given that I am under pressure for all sorts of reasons right now, rather than offer no blog at all, I thought I would at least offer you the opportunity to read some things about backgrounds that you might well find useful.  It is better than silence, methinks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549886

And to  stimulate your thoughts,  here are a few portraits with unusual "backgrounds" (and poses too).  Makes one think - why settle for a conventional head shot and a "neutral" background?...how can you "involve" the background with the character of the sitter?..and what do these choices make you think and feel?
Harold Pinter, by Justin Mortimer
J K Rowling by Stuart Pearson Wright


Johnathan Miller by Stephen Conroy

 
 
Alan Bennett by Tom Wood






 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the links. Hope your situations get resolved so you can relax more.

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave me a message